Wednesday, October 26, 2022

Tuk Tuk Tour in Lagos and beaches

 I took a city tour in an electric Tuk tuk with Tukano Tuk Tours tukanotuktours.com my driver was Carla, her partner Nuno signed me up the day before. I've never been in a real tuk tuk before and I suspect this one was slightly more comfortable than the originals might be, I thoroughly enjoyed the ride and the sights. Here are pictures with captions. Carla was a delightful guide, telling me the history and present day of Lagos.

From the top of the cliffs Porta da Piedade


One of the gates in the walls that surround the city, built to keep citizens safe from invasion. 

Original Portuguese homes the top facade hides the roof and the door handles in the shape of hands indicate wealth, no need to knock with your own knuckles.

Art Museum located across from the 2nd floor of the large food market downtown.

Traditional tile works, still being taught today to school children and adults wanting to do the work in trade, a tradition preserved.

Igreja de Santa Maria de Lagos, next to the city walls, destroyed (as was the city) in 1750 by a fire it has been rebuilt over centuries. Many of the churches do not open to the public, only for special events and Sunday service.

So that is a snap shot of my tour. Lagos has many beautifully done (in my opinion) murals on buildings, enough that I will do a separate post on those, more to come.


No comments:

Post a Comment