Sunday, November 10, 2013

Emmendingen and ...

Just to let you know, if you double click on the pictures they get a lot bigger. There are a couple in this post you might want to do that with, didn't use the zoom as much and it shows.

There are many street performers in Freiburg of various types. Many stand on boxes in costumes like this fellow, with their coin box for donations in front of them.


I have seen him many times but this time he blew me a kiss so I blew one back. Then he beckoned me over took my hand and kissed it. So now I have to pay him of course so took advantage and asked for a picture as well. Others, there are three guys, one sitting on the pavement with two guys sitting on posts he is holding up mid-air - still haven't figured out how they do that one. There are people dressed entirely in gold or silver looking like statues (wonder what that does to the skin) and many more, including the many fellows who play accordion, definitely NOT my favourite.

We got misplaced, what I mean by that is we took the wrong bus but it doesn't really matter because you usually end up at a tram stop anyway and the bonus, you get to see more of the countryside! We went through St. Georgen, a lovely quaint village in Freiburg. I had been planning to do that anyway, just hop a bus and see where it goes. So when we noticed he is not going the way we expected, okaaay, now what? Stay on and just see where we go. We did get to our destination it just took longer.

Another sunny day we decided to make the best of it and visit Emmendingen, about 15 minutes north by Regional train. It looked to me like a mini-Freiburg because it has bachles as well. Very pretty town with small Saturday market. This fellow not the only snail sculpture there. Apparently the region has many snails making gardening a challenge. Could have fooled me with the lovely gardens that exist here.


You have probably heard, Christmas markets are huge in Germany. This is a store specializing in Christmas decorations. See the Santa, he rides back and forth on a string. The puppet in the window is "airing" out the bedding. The markets start the end of this month and I think we will just miss them which is too bad, or bad planning on our part.

A retail store with a handsome door next to it. I liked the rabbit logo which doesn't show well in the picture unfortunately. Click Click.



Emmendingen is building a new rail station, their advertisement for it features this thing. She looks to be a cross between a pig and a hedgehog? I'm not sure but look at those nails!


Well it's a rainy Sunday so I'd better make use of it to start packing and making lists, my friends, those lists that keep me organized and ensure nothing is forgotten. This trip really is going to be a planes, trains and automobiles one. Lexi Cat's needs almost take up more room than ours due to bringing her food and litter, ah well she's worth it!

Tomorrow is St. Martin's Day. Children make their own lanterns and parade around the neighbourhood. It is not a Public Holiday so business as usual. Read more detail here.
http://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/germany/st-martin

I'm excited to come back to Freiburg in the Spring. As mentioned in the previous post we met those entrepreneurs in the Market. I realized yesterday they are my target business market for when I had my business in Vancouver. So I will approach them to see if I can help. I cannot charge for any services provided because then I incur German taxes but it would be fun to use my business knowledge to help again. Okay, I'm just weird I guess.

Cheers, Bx2 & Lexi Cat

No comments:

Post a Comment