Wednesday, December 18, 2019

Museum of Fine Arts and Pottery Studio


Inside the courtyard, trees are huge!

As you have read before, I have the Museo de Belles Artes, or Museum of Fine Arts about a half a block from my flat. This year their guest installation is work from sculptor Juan Martinez Monañés and since I actually prefer sculpture to paintings I went. His patrons were the churches and he worked in Sevilla for several years. Surprise! I was expecting what I saw in Dijon, marble creations but not so here, also showing my ignorance or lack of research before going. Monañés works are Baroque polychromed wood life sized figures from the beginning of the 17th Century. The colours were wonderful with very delicate detail in the clothing. I wish I'd watched the video on the process before visiting but there is nothing to prevent me from returning, being both close and free. Website here


No photos allowed in the exhibit as usual but here are some of the building and the brochure.
Smaller courtyard inside.
Example of tile work which covers the interior.
I saw this figure in the exhibition, no halo but magnificently larger than the average human.
It's a bit difficult to see in the photo but the detailing on the robe is splendid.
It is not noted on the brochure who this lovely lady is. 
Here is a U-Tube video about the creative process, it is 12 minutes long, I had the time to watch and found it fascinating. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Wb-T1F033Q

I really enjoyed the visit and have to wonder why "I don't get out more".

Liz told me about a pottery studio that holds classes and since I enjoyed doing pottery many moons ago I thought I’d take a look. Plotted on Google Maps, I found it, not easy really, it’s tucked in a corner with no signage outside. I could hear people talking inside so pressed the buzzer. Yoko, the owner, opened the door to welcome me into a couple of rooms with workbench tables, kiln (oven), pots of glazes and a few people. Here is her website www.ceramicasevilla.com El Taller de Yoko. There was a young man working on a piece who spoke English and translated for me. Here the method is hand formed. I saw a potting wheel but it was sitting in a corner, I’ve never seen such a pristine wheel before, so I doubt it is ever used. Why? To start potting on a wheel you throw the wet lump of clay in the middle of the spinning circle and it’s a messy process. The classes are chosen by how many hours a week (2-7) you want to spend and buy a pass for a month which includes the clay, glazes and two firings in the kiln (first the raw molded clay, second with the glaze on). This studio is relatively small but it seems to be set up efficiently and the people were welcoming.

To realize my plan to "get out more", I have reorganized my timing of chores and shopping to free up at least a couple of days a week to see new things. I will also re-visit some of the sights I've been to before in the first couple of years we were in Sevilla.

Cheers, Bev and Lexi Cat



1 comment:

  1. Love these local stories. Thank you for continuing to share.

    -Jeff

    ReplyDelete