Tuesday, June 1, 2021

Mini Road Trip and Hello June!

Christoph drove me to a friend’s property he helps clear off to make it easier to move around in. It is a copse or woodland in a vineyard, treed with fabulous views over the countryside. To get in we climbed down a ladder and then over rough terrain to get to the fire pit. 





Christoph cut some brush and made a fire with the idea of BBQing what I had brought. There was only a rather wobbly bench there, lovely long piece of wood to sit on. The fire grew due to Christoph’s fire making skills and we were able to start cooking. The menu: bratwurst sausage, (it was yummy from the local butcher I would get again) baguette, appleschorle (apple juice mixed with sparkling water), cooked green asparagus, mini tomatoes, mustard and mayo and cutlery. He brought faba beans mixed with spice and almond stuffed olives fresh from the Breisach market.
  First sausage didn’t work at all, too thin and long, fell into the pit, we cut the next ones in half and that worked better. Skewers were made of wood sticks and balanced over the fire to cook. I am trying to remember when I’ve been close to an open fire pit before and it’s been a very long time, naturally we both smelled of wood smoke after. 


Driving there was through small German villages in the Markgräflerland part of this area, different to the Kaiserstuhl, each has their charm. There were poppies dotted all over the fields, really pretty. Ones in the pictures are in my neighbourhood spotted on the drive, really large ones!





We stopped at the Löffler winery to sample Gutedel wine, the major grape grown in the area. https://www.weingut-loeffler.de/en/wine-cellar.html While it has never been my favourite grape type I discovered one I liked and paid 10 Euros for two, one litre bottles, I was shocked!


All in all a very pleasant day away! Something we, or I, took for granted prior to this pandemic. We were certainly social distancing up in the copse with the wine rows arrayed below us. I got sun, I got wood smoke and a beautiful view, greatly appreciated!


Bruce, Whit as I called him would have been 71 today, June 1, 2021, RIP my love.


Again, sorry about the appearance of the post. 


Cheers, Bev and the sleeping Lexi Cat



No comments:

Post a Comment