Monday, September 30, 2013

Getting to know Rieselfeld

We have been taking long walks through the neighbourhood. Bruce takes his wheels. I checked on delivery of my new bike and was told because it's a 2014 version it won't be in for a couple more weeks. Darn.

Found an Indian restaurant which will be good to try, it's tucked into a part of the neighbourhood next to the gymnasium. I have never seen advertising for it so it makes me wonder who their clientele are...

Been checking out what is in our local shops, we have a veggie and fruit shop which brings in really fresh produce at reasonable prices. The local grocery store we typically shop at has decent produce as well, and then of course there are the markets. The big one I keep going on about downtown and we have a local one on Wednesday afternoons and Saturdays. Gardens are wonderful right now! And if I get tired walking I can always sit on Bruce's knees and drive the bike. That'll be a sight!

I don't know what this tree is but it's pretty!
Someone has a sense of humour!

Pergola in the neighbourhood with park benches inside, nice place to chill on a sunny day and maybe meet a neighbour or two.

Went to a large big box store to find odds and sods and didn't! But exhausted ourselves in the meantime. Going and returning a huge load of school kids came onto the tram. I mean probably 50 kids all talking and laughing. Very noisy and such energy! And funny we ran into them returning as well. Two girls sat across from us and were quiet and recognized us on the trip back with smiles. They carry heavy looking satchels or backpacks, I suppose all kids do.

Four of our shipped boxes arrived this week - Christmas! But why, oh why, did I pack so much clothing? Bruce did too. I guess we were thinking we are going to be away for a long time but really I don't NEED that much stuff. Will sort and store or give away next week.

Foggy mornings turn into nice fall days lately. One morning it was so foggy I couldn't see the fields or the building next door even.

The voting station for the election on Sunday was at the high school. Lots of people were hanging around outside chatting. I was curious as to where they would have it in the neighbourhood, don't know why really since I couldn't vote.

Bought 66 colourful glass marbles at the market. Bruce is working on a project that is somewhat like a pinball machine. The fellow who sold them to us was really nice and quite interested. At home I put them in 4 champagne flutes for two reasons; they are pretty to look at, and to keep them out of Lexi's reach. Oh what fun she would have with them on these wood floors. Just not a good idea.



Due to Oktoberfest being held last week and on until October 6th in Munich we are seeing people wearing dirndls and lederhosen in the streets of Freiburg. Here is an article from National Post regarding the return of this fashion in Germany.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/09/30/rise-of-the-dirndl-new-generation-of-germans-bring-tradition-back-to-oktoberfest/

A couple of years ago (pre-Lexi) we arrived in Munich about this time in September. The Munich train station was jam packed with Oktoberfest celebrators in various degrees of sobriety, or not. There were vendor's stalls outside the station and people were trying on dirndls and lederhosen in what appeared to be a frenzy. Perhaps the vendors sold out? We had done no research except think Munich looked like a nice city to visit. I did wonder why the hotel was SO expensive though. DOH, yes Oktoberfest happens in September and we were in the midst of it!

We walked the city, found the fairgrounds on a rainy Sunday morning when nothing too much was happening. Had lunch at a pub and spoke to a couple of ladies wearing dirndls who were from Switzerland. They came to the Fest every year and loved it. So, while I can say that I've been there, I haven't done that. I didn't experience the crowded beer halls or the festival, not my thing.

Coming home on the tram the other day there was a demonstration that held up the entire system. We suspect they were crossing the tram line and police directed them to the roadway. Motorists can take a different route, trams cannot so it was a good solution. The demonstrators took up an entire city block and were very vocal about their cause (I still haven't found out what it was). Police were evident for blocks further along the route, they had full "riot" gear on but carried their helmets.

Cheers, Bx2 & Lexi Cat




No comments:

Post a Comment