Saturday, September 14, 2013

September 15, 2013

Hello again,

Last Saturday night we had a huge storm with sheet lightning, wind and rain. What a sight to see but a bit scary since we are the tallest building around! Power went out for 8 minutes according to our clocks which is unusual for here I think. Well that did it, mostly rain for the rest of the week. Darn, we were enjoying the good weather.

There was a big run or marathon in Rieselfeld on Sunday, seemed like the entire village was out and either participating or watching. Some had picnic baskets for their families. It caused the tram to stop running from the last stop before Rieselfeld so we had to walk home, past 4 tram stops. Luckily Bruce had his transport and I had a good walking day or I would have sat on his knees.

We've lost our cattle herd. They've been moved somewhere else. We kind of miss them because they moved around all the time and some had calves that were frisky and fun to watch. Just 5 horses left. Kind of made me think, with tongue in cheek, they were moved off because of breaking a city noise ordinance because one was mooing quite loudly every morning! Doubt it, just a thought.

No delivery of our boxes through Canada Post yet, I've been tracking them and been to our local post office to warn them they are coming. She explained that they would be delivered to our residence. I don't know how that will happen since our post people deliver on bikes. Wait and see.

Our partners left the flat in wonderful condition and added some plants and this! x 2.

I really like the colours on them!

Also added this African Violet for inside and three other plants for the winter garden which I mentioned before but now you can see them.

They really brighten up the space!

The house painter is coming this next week to create his version of organized chaos. He will be here at 0800 Monday morning so we will have to get our butts in gear earlier than usual. We have contracted him to paint the entire flat. I am not looking forward to the process but am looking forward to the results. He actually lives in France, about an hour north of here, just about to Strasbourg. I guess he works around here frequently because he was recommended to us by someone in our building.

I walked into a department store this week on a hunt for something as simple as hangers for our clothes. It was UNorganized chaos! Crowded with little people and parents choosing back to school stuff. You can bet I made a fast exit from that, whew, shows how out of touch I am to not have even thought about it ahead.

I did some cooking today, unusual for me really. As most of you know Bruce does most of the cooking in this household, but not so much in Germany. Making two types of German potato salad which, if you remember from before, I love. Also mentioned before the grocers sell a "soup kit" it's carrots, leek, celery root and parsley sprigs bound together. Celery is almost impossible to get here and when you do it's tough and chewy. The root is used frequently and does provide a nice but stronger flavour.

Another thing at the grocers, some fruit and veg comes pre-packaged usually in 4 or 6 pieces, some does not so you can choose the amount you need. There is a code associated with each type that you put into a scale and it prints off a label for the clerks to scan. You really get a dirty look from others in the line if you fail to do it and make the clerk run to the scale. Unfortunately I know because I forgot one day, bit of a rude reminder but my fault entirely.

Cheers! Bx2 & Lexi Cat






2 comments:

  1. Oops sorry for the repeat post about the storm! - Bev

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your little critters! Geckos?

    ReplyDelete