Monday, May 1, 2017

We went to a Spring Festival



Bruce made pickles, first batch didn’t quite turn out so he’s tried again. Pretty anyway, and these should work better, cucumber, carrot and fresh dill together and separate lime only. 

Went downtown on a Thursday before the long weekend just to get out of the neighbourhood basically. There is a food shop and many ethnic restaurants in a plaza next to the Stadt theatre we like. Did our shop for chicken a la king dinner, yum, and then I had Won Ton soup and Bruce had a lovely lime drink. 

Most of the cows started running for the barn, I happened to look out to see them. Guess it’s feed time and someone yelled Cooee! or whatever the German equivalent is. One doesn’t often see cows run and kick up their heels, but they did. Seems once one runs, the others follow and a couple of them gnashed their heads together, mock fighting, well it’s Spring isn’t it? Could have fooled me, it’s still pretty cold out and damp.

Finally a decent day and the Freiburger  Frühlingsfest (Spring festival) is on at the Mundenhof and Stadtgärtnerei (City garden centre). They run a shuttle bus from the middle tram stop in Reiselfeld so we take it. This is their third year and ours too. First year it was rather small, second really, really large, this year smaller again but more things to do for children. 


Like large plastic balls for the child to enter and get rolled around in by a parent, I’d read about them but never seen them live. Made me almost wish I could try, almost… 

When I talk about show size, it’s about the amount of vendors displaying their wares. This year it was an international fair with products coming from all over the world and less local product, in my humble opinion anyway. 

From Africa, didn't ask which part
We did buy a rhubarb Stefans cheese cake, they are so good! Bruce says he’s surprised rhubarb can be made tasty in anything. I bought a pair of earrings from Mexico. https://www.pakilia.com/en/All-Products/Ohrstecker-Flor-de-p-talos.html these ones! 

It's a snail, no it's a pot, no it's a snail pot

Seriously red!, inside they had yellow, purple, blue...
I’ve never seen so much bougainvillea in one spot before, beautiful! I think that people who buy it must winter it over like we do our citrus trees. 

Just Wow!

Can't see too well here, but water flows down the stones.
It was a pleasure to walk along the greenery and flowers of all sorts, and seeing products from all over the world. I did miss seeing some of the local products which makes me wonder what changed, behind the scenes, I'm always curious as you know.

Now the sun is out I can see incredibly, how many dust bunnies there are everywhere, result of being empty for a month. Can’t vacuum tomorrow, it’s Sunday but did do on Monday, even though a holiday (Labour Day). Unfortunately the cleaner D & E set up for us, lost our info, now has our phone number, but not sure how we can communicate via phone, her German is limited as is ours, she speaks Georgian (have you ever looked at the Georgian alphabet? I hadn’t, it’s beautiful), so while she sounds good, without a translate program… I think we’ll have to go back to the company with the rep who does speak English, does a good job but costs three times as much. 

All for now, Cheers, Bev, Bruce and Lexi Cat


No comments:

Post a Comment