Thursday, February 28, 2019

Visits and Inept but Determined Pickpocket!


One Sunday Ryan and Angela came over and Ryan made, and taught me to make, red Thai curry, Angela brought and cooked up some gyoza, and brought mango sherbet she had made for desert. Mucho Yummy!

I met Rocio outside Ryan and Angela's, her day to clean there, she stuck an earbud in my ear and we "waltzed" up the stairs singing to Sevilliano music, what a lady! Then Pepe drove us to the town of Mairena del Aljarafe about 20 minutes outside Sevilla to a cafe run by Mariela called Alquimista (Alchemist) Coffee Lab. 

She roasts coffee beans there for other cafes and themselves and explained the process to us, with humour and a beautiful smile.

Breakfast was great with different offerings than many cafes.
Poached egg on avocado spread.
The green is pistachio ice cream, the plunger is filled with Maple syrup which Mariela said the Spaniards don't know about and she ends up throwing the expensive stuff out.
Pepe enjoying, it was quite cool with a breeze, hence the hood.
Mariela had lived in the States for some time so perhaps her ideas came from there. The cafe’s location is behind a strip mall, you really have to know about it to find it. It was very busy there though and not a weekend. 
Peach blossoms
We walked through a large nursery next to the cafe. Angela said it was like walking through a garden, sunken areas in patterns for potted plants were both practical and visually appealing. 
Sunken in the indented concrete
Gives you an idea of size, the warehouse was just as big.
There were two employees with Downs Syndrome and there was a children’s play area, humanitarian thinking on the company’s part.
Unusual blue flower, lily? it came in a pot so think it's real...
Ali and Andy were here in Sevilla for a week. They were here a couple of years ago. They both blog but Ali does so more frequently at www.aliadventures.com You may remember we met them first in Freiburg when they lived there. Anyway we met up for lunch, with Pepe, Ryan and Angela at Al Aljibe, always a "treat" place for us to go. Then we went for Gelato next door at Freskura, deemed by Ryan and Angela as the best in the city. 

Pepe installed the TV on the wall, he was professional about the process, measuring, testing and measuring again before actual installation, it’s not something you want to have to repair. Big Thank you's to Pepe and to Ivan who helped me buy it, team project.

I met Ali and Andy again on Sunday and we lunched at Kakura, my (Ivan's introduction) favourite Japanese restaurant. They came back to the flat with me to see the apartment but didn’t stay long, Andy had work to complete since they leave Tuesday. 

Heard clip clop of horses hooves which is quite common here, usually a carriage, but the other day it sounded louder and I peered out my window to find six mounted cops on horses. Like I’ve said before, just never know what you’ll see around here, or experience, read on.

I got pickpocketed 1.5 times, what? Out walking neighbourhoods I hadn’t been to in a while. There was a fellow walking the same direction, ducking into stores and out again, I thought he was a tourist. He is tall, thin, wore a baseball cap, glasses, side satchel, jeans, light weight coat, all dark in colour. I started to walk through Plaza de la Gavidia, heard a noise behind me turned to find a guy had dropped a lot of change on the road. Then I saw the red glass heart I carry that I had given Bruce. It was my wallet that had fallen out of my purse, “must have jumped”, yeah right… Guy picks up all my change I put it back and thank him!? Then realize my purse is open. The penny didn’t drop, pun intended, until he tried again half a block away. I felt someone behind, pull the purse over my shoulder and it’s open again and the same guy is there. Sevilla is quite a safe city so I am more than shocked, I’m pissed off, as much at myself as the guy. I’ve become complacent, not anymore, I'm reawakened. I did not go straight home, I watched my back and took a detour. LADRON! Angela told me, means THIEF! which I will be yelling at him if I see him again, even though he didn't actually keep anything. 

Above pictures were taken by Ryan, Angela and myself.

Cheers, Bev and Lexi Cat 





No comments:

Post a Comment