Saturday, March 30, 2019

Cadiz Part 2

This was the view from the apartment I rented, pretty spectacular!
The sunrises were amazing from here as well. The apartment itself was comfortable and central, close to the Cathedral and really close to the market.

I visited the Museum of Cadiz, Plaza de Mina, which contains the merged Fine Arts and Archaeological Museums. 
Left: male Phoenician anthropoid sarcophagus found in 1887.
Right: Female found in 1980.
Strong looking women
As in Sevilla, pretty much every time there is a dig for a building, archaeology ruins are found so the collection in this museum keeps expanding. It is well laid out and is used as a place of study as well as for the general public. Some of the objects found are in pristine condition, even complete glass vases which surprised me. I took many more photos, too many to include here.

Fine Arts are located on the first floor (second in North America). A couple of my favourites.


Second floor holds the Contemporary Arts pieces which for me were amusing, bizarre and likeable.
Not the best picture, sculpture inside a glass case, but does speak for itself, he's chained to a TV.
Pure Spanish, arch behind, palm tree, mantilla...
Pure whimsy! Part of a large collection of like paintings, it was hard to decide which to photograph.
That is my very light coverage of the museum, if you are interested further here is the website 
http://www.museosdeandalucia.es/web/museodecadiz

Aside from the food tour I ate well in the city, often around the central market where restaurants line both sides of it and for a stroll afterward, the flower market was close by which was a delight. My favourite was called Anca Lidia.
https://www.facebook.com/ancalidia.cadiz/
Prawns in garlic, hot pepper, butter and hake fish wrapped in a cornmeal coating, absolute yum!
Here are some buildings and sites I took photos of just walking around. Cadiz is on an island with a large port, you can easily walk to the coastline in any direction and sometimes without meaning to. 
Still decorated for Carnival, there was confetti all over the sidewalks and streets, I arrived the day after it finished (on purpose).
I loved the detail on this building and that street lamp is what type hang throughout the streets here.
Santa Cruz Church
Okay, what is this? It is a water fountain for adults, children and dogs, one of many installed recently in the city. I liked that it was designed for children and dogs too.
From Lexi who enjoyed curling up in the sunny spots in the apartment.
So that was my mini trip to Cadiz. Honestly Monday afternoon was difficult, it took me moving from one restaurant to another to get served and I felt invisible, thought maybe I should just return to Sevilla. The next day I decided not to give up and continue exploring and started to enjoy myself. By the end of the week I didn't want to leave and isn't that the feeling that one should have after a good vacation?

Cheers, Bev and Lexi Cat



No comments:

Post a Comment